Smithills Update – 8th Oct 2021
Hoping everyone is safe and well, and enjoying some autumn sunshine today.
A few things to update folks on from Smithills…
Many of you will already know that our fabulous Assistant Site Manager, Jonny, now has a new role as Site Manager – Yorkshire. Congrats Jonny! He will still be working with us at Smithills approx one day a week so we aren’t losing him completely (hooray!). We are interviewing today for a new Ranger, and that person will take on managing the Wardens and Patrollers. Until they are in position, Kelvin is managing the Wardens and I am managing the Patrollers.
Events & Activities
More and more things are resuming on the Estate so here’s a quick roundup of what’s going on!
We are restarting a number of our community groups now. Here’s what’s coming up:
- Education sessions – We are planning Monday morning forest school sessions through November, for schools who may not normally have access to forest school resources.
- Dementia friendly walks – these have been continuing over the last few months and on the second Thursday of each month.
- Carers’ Walks – we have a partnership with Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Trust through which we have respite walks for carers on the Estate once a month, led by Smithills Guided Walk Leaders.
- Green social prescribing – we are running sessions with a small group referred via Bolton GP Federation looking at improving wellbeing via woodland walks, starting from next week.
- Welcome Walks with City of Sanctuary – we will be running an Autumn Welcome Walk for City of Sanctuary’s service users (CoS are a refugee support service). This will be on 6 November.
Thank you to all of our volunteers for sticking with us through this strange time, I know it’s been a difficult 18 months for many, and we are all really pleased that despite not being able to run… well, almost anything, all of our fantastic volunteers are still here, still connected with us, and hopefully prepared to keep going with us into 2022!
Vicky Entwistle – Smithills Engaging Communities Officer