Smithills Update 12th July 2019
Another busy week at Smithills… with the Bees & Butterflies AND Archaeology Walks on Saturday, Garden Party last Sunday, the Environment Agency task day yesterday, the first event from CommuniTree yesterday as well (our first social enterprise – using the Forest School compartment for education activities) and the BioBlitz tomorrow!
Task day – 21st July
The next task day will be led by Mike, and will be on Sunday 21st July. We will be seeding the area next to Walker Fold car park with wildflower seeds. Hopefully next spring the car park will look very different!
Horwich Heritage Centre open day – 20th July
The History and Wildlife Groups are joining forces and going along to the Horwich Heritage Centre Open Day on 20th July. They have been working on a display on information on the history of the moorland at Smithills Estate and the wildlife we find there. If you have some spare time on 20th, pop over and see what info they have found!
We have been asked if we would like to have a stall at two upcoming events:
- Sport on the Square – Thursday 25th July. This is run by Bolton Council and is promoting healthy activities across Bolton, we will be talking about our guided walks, and our dementia-friendly walks – but we will of course also have general WT info there.
- Bolton Station Fringe Fest – Saturday 24th August. An event running alongside Bolton Food & Drink Festival, based at Bolton train station!
If you’ve not yet booked onto any of these upcoming public events, tickets are still available:
- Summer Trees ID walk – 27 July https://woodlandtrusttickets.cloudvenue.co.uk/smithillssummertreesguidedwalk
- History Walk – 3 August https://woodlandtrusttickets.cloudvenue.co.uk/smithillsvolunteerledguidedwalk
- Grasslands Walk – 3 August https://woodlandtrusttickets.cloudvenue.co.uk/smithillsgrasslandswalk
- Introduction to Woodland Walk 8 August https://woodlandtrusttickets.cloudvenue.co.uk/smithillsintroductiontowoodlandswalk
Note that the Grasslands and History walks are the same day. We do try to avoid this, but sometimes with the best planning in the world, walk leaders change or events get cancelled and rearranged.
A volunteer only event is the ancient tree verifying training on 10 August… please drop me a line if you’re interested in this! It will show you how to age a tree, and categorise into notable, veteran and ancient. There is very little data on Smithills, we are hoping to change that!
Facts and figures
We are getting busier and busier… so far this year we have run 49 events or activities (this includes volunteer training days and events), with 1499 people attending. This is the same as the whole of last year… things are very much picking up! Thank you to everyone for their support at events, and for their efforts in all of the various volunteer groups!
Pictures from the last week
Here’s what we have been up to…
Archaeology Walk at Walker Fold Woods; Rob B at the Garden Party; Sarah, Alex and Pete with the Smithills Hall team at the Garden Party; Rob A with staff from the Environment Agency on their task day at Smithills.
Vicky Entwistle- Engaging Communities Officer, Smithills