Skipton Castle Woods Volunteer Update
Thank you to everyone who has given their time over the past few weeks, including those who joined our Dry Stone Walling Day on Sat 27th October. All very much appreciated, thank you.
I am conscious that we are heading into a busy time of year for many of us – on the estate our operational teams have a hectic time with tree safety work and planting across the country and as always, December brings with it lots of family time and other commitments as well as the dreaded coughs and sniffles! Please don’t worry if you can’t catch up with us until the New Year – it’s not a problem.
With that in mind, here are a few dates that I hope you may be able to get involved in.
- Wed 28th Nov – Task day – The Garage Store. Clearing and sorting the garage store in advance of the racking being fitted. 11am-2.30pm – The Old Saw Mill entrance (off Chapel Hill) Please email me or let me know you can attend
- Sat 1st Dec – Public event – Wassailing with Rusticus Theatre -11am start – 3.35pm end. If anyone would like to jump in to support any of the three sessions, please let me know.
- 3 & 4th December First Aid Training – Woodland Trust Smithills Estate, Bolton. 2 day, level 3 outdoor first aid training with forestry element. If you would like to attend please email Claire Green ClaireGreen@woodlandtrust.org.uk to book. Travel expenses are paid, post training.
- Friday 7th – Free tree giveaway – I will be in front of Skipton Town Hall near the Christmas tree giving away free garden trees to players of the lotto (with a current ticket) as part of a thank you for supporting good causes (Like WT) via Heritage Lotto Funding. If you would like to join me, please let me know.
- Saturday 26th January -Task Leader Training – St Andrews Church, Skipton. If you would like to have a little extra training to enable you to see what is involved in stepping in and leading a task day, this is for you. Please let me know if you would like to attend or if you want to know more, give me a call to have an informal chat. It would be great to have one or two other folk if possible to spread the load, including dry stone wallers.
Christmas social – Thursday 6th December 7.30pm – The Snug, The Castle Inn. Please let me know if you’re able to attend – even if you haven’t volunteered for a while, I’d love to catch up. Table nibbles available!
- New Skipton Castle Woods leaflets have been ordered for the store (2019 events included) this week.
- Mark Feather, Site Manager has moved onto other projects in the north. I am now taking on the lead for the site as a whole with James Jesson, Site Manager North, taking on tree safety/large scale maintenance. Alec Pue (Assistant Site Manager) is also supporting.
- We have a new Estate contractor working with us at Skipton from November, D&A Landscapes. They will also be supporting the movement of material around the site and some of our event programme.
- Our 2019 public events are confirmed and will soon be available to view on our events page on our website
- Ash tree removal is likely to be 2nd week in December along with power brushing of the paths.
- New gate on the bailey is ready for installation the 2nd week in December.
Many thanks for reading and hopefully will see you on the 6th December.
Visitor Experience Officer – Skipton Castle Woods