Apr 10 2018

Investing in Volunteers

New Beginnings

In an exciting development for volunteering at the Woodland Trust we have started developing a new volunteering framework. This is being developed in line with Investing in Volunteers which is the nationally recognised benchmark and accreditation for volunteering best practise quality standards in the UK.

In June 2017 we launched the first policy and procedure of our new quality volunteering framework. This work will continue until the end of 2018. The aim is that a new volunteering framework will help the Woodland Trust provide even more value to its volunteers and ensure that the roles and opportunities for volunteers we provide support our strategy and organisational mission and values.

Achieving Investing in Volunteers will also help us ensure that knowledge of volunteer management is encapsulated at organisational level, so that information is not lost if a volunteer manager moves on. This will help us provide a quality volunteering experience to all our volunteers.

To run alongside this we have set up a National Volunteer Panel who are working to create a proposal for a more formal volunteer voice into the organisation from 2019.

In the library section of Whittle, you can see the new and revised policies and procedures and other documents relevant to volunteering with the Woodland Trust. We will keep updating going forward. In the spirit of new beginnings I thought I’d share a sunrise I captured off the North East Coast last October.

Paul Taylor

National Volunteer Manager

9 Comments
  • PeterCurnow

hallo Paul. being one of the first group for Observatree what happens next .I live in greater Manchester and am on the lookout for ash dieback where I live there are estimated to be 300,000 trees .streets lined with ash.

peter curnow

April 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm
  • AndyGordon

With Helen Jones’ departure from the ObervaTree Manager role is there any news of further training?

April 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm
    • Sarah Shaw

Hi Andy, we’ve successfully appointed Charlotte Armitage who will be replacing Helen Jones on the Observatree project. She started yesterday so i’m sure she’ll be getting in touch with all the volunteers shortly. As for generic training, take a look at the Upcoming events section which includes training events and get togethers for all volunteers run by the Volunteering Development Officers.

April 10, 2018 at 2:59 pm
  • PeterHargreaves

Paul or Sarah. Is there any chance the web site can be tweaked to let me see the right hand side of the page. I feel sure I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

April 17, 2018 at 4:09 pm
    • Sarah Shaw

Hi Peter, Thanks for sending us that screenshot – we’ve sent this to our developers and they are looking into this.

April 18, 2018 at 11:25 am
      • ChrisStephens

I get the same problem as Peter but only when getting a printout of the screen (sometimes useful to have!)

May 23, 2018 at 12:38 pm
  • RohanAmick

Hello Peter, I am a Woodland Trust Warden for Worms Wood, A mixed woodland in Felpham, near Bognor Regis Sussex.
    I have been carrying out Butterfly Surveys which have been pretty good.

5th April 14th April