The dangers of Cellulitis
Recently a member of staff contracted Cellulitis from an insect bite, and needed medical attention.
Cellulitis is an infection of the deeper layers of skin and the underlying tissue. It can be serious if not treated promptly.
The infection develops suddenly and can spread through the body quickly. Severe infections can spread deep into the body, and can be life threatening.
Most cases are successfully treated with antibiotics at home, although sometimes it needs to be treated in hospital.
Fortunately, our colleague has made a full recovery, and complained that it was “Just a bit itchy” after a few days – which is great news.
Cellulitis is not just caused by insect bites – any wound or scrape can cause it – it just needs a bug to get into the wrong place.
Trust staff and volunteers (especially site based) should be aware of this condition, and go to their Doctor if they ever feel worried.
Cellulitis causes an area of skin to suddenly become:
It most often affects the lower legs, but can occur anywhere.
In more severe cases, Cellulitis can also be accompanied – and often preceded – by:
- A high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
- Vigorous shaking (rigors)
- Nausea and vomiting
If at any point, a Trust volunteer suffers these symptoms after a wound or other small injury please seek medical help immediately – either from your GP, or, if out of hours A&E/Walk in Centre’s.
Sarah Shaw – Volunteer Journey Officer